What’s New In Technology This Week
Article Reference: https://bit.ly/2RpyC2T
Google has announced that there will be an update on how the search engine ranks product reviews. Google stated “we know people appreciate product reviews that share in-depth research, rather than thin content that simply summarizes a bunch of products.” This new ranking algorithm is meant to create more insightful and trustworthy reviews.
This is very important for companies to be aware of in order to help their customers leave them a review that is sure to reflect well for the business under this new algorithm. Reviews are ranked based on experienced and detailed users as well as user descriptions and comments.
Google has provided very detailed advice in their new update on how to keep your company’s reviews ranking.
- “Express expert knowledge about products where appropriate?
- Show what the product is like physically, or how it is used, with unique content beyond what’s provided by the manufacturer?
- Provide quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors?
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances?
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product, based on research into it?
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or otherwise help users in making a purchase decision?
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas? For example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety, and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas.
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says?”
This new update may help to prevent users from misusing the feature, and leave reviews that can hurt the company’s overall reputation. This has happened a few times including seen with Tiktok and a homework app in India called DingTalk. In both cases the apps got downvoted and negatively rated based on disingenuous reviews.
Google may be using this new ranking algorithm as a way to filter these out and keep the honest reviews, as well as keep up with the increase of online companies such as e-commerce and digital businesses. It is important for your business to stay on top of these updates to create better SEO and ranking for your page.